Making the office efficient and effective as a workplace requires a careful balance. The workplace must be a supportive location for meeting colleagues and performing work, but it must do so at a reasonable cost and with as little carbon footprint as possible.
Today's organizations are examining every major expense, they are looking at the 1:1 worker-to-workspace ratio and the 50% vacancy due to mobility, and they are realizing their workplace is a good place for performing work, but it isn't very efficient. Over half of the desks are empty or underused on any given day and at a cost of $10,000 per desk per year, that's a lot of unnecessary cost... a lot of wasted resources.
Optimizing the workplace, making it as efficient as it is effective, has been AgilQuest's mission since 1993. We build technology to support the optimization of the workplace and deliver training, expertise and support to deploy technology within the workplace. Our products and services are the "how to" answer for initiatives like President Obama's Executive Order for identifying and eliminating unused real estate and subsequent better use of the remaining office space.
- Measure the actual use of space every day, in every location, on every floor
- Identify candidates for mobility and telework
- Reduce the number of workspaces needed and schedule their use so everyone has a desk to work when they are actually in the office
- Schedule the use of conference rooms and coordinate the delivery of equipment and service
- Provide operational reports for managing and optimizing the work and collaboration spaces
- Train workers and managers how to work and thrive in a highly mobile, optimized workplace
Once unneeded office space has been identified and shed, optimizing the remaining space brings real savings and sustainability. Most organizations have a 1-to-1 worker-to-workspace ratio and can easily achievable 2:1 or higher, which produces significant benefits:
- Lower space needed per person (sqft) and, therefore, lower expenses
- Greater flexibility in where to work (network of locations, individual choice of where to sit)
- Greater collaboration and morale
- Higher productivity and lower absenteeism
- Improved business resiliency and sustainability
- Attracts and retains top talent and clients